<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
MH-2ndTry[EG]Zeta
Moderators: Muilkorfje, Killerbee, OmG.Fubar
Author Post
evilgrins
Fri Sep 14 2012, 07:37am
Registered Member #5
MH-2ndTry[EG]Zeta

This is an edit of a map by [SPG]RIFFRAFF.

As most people play MH with some form of health/ammo regenerator, there is no ammo anywhere on this map.

First off, why Zeta? An initial release of a map, let out for testing purposes, is usually called a Beta. Thing is this is an edit of an existing map, MH-FirstTry[SPG], which may have had a Beta of its own once upon a time. So, I went another way.

This map is mostly done. There's a few more things I wanna do to it but this one doesn't need those to be played. I just want people to play it and then get back to me and tell me everything that's wrong with it. I'm sure there's like 1 or 2 or 300 things at most.

This is a 16 room map, 2 floors of 8 rooms, one level above another, with a separate room for the bosses and the exit. I mostly play MH-FirstTry[SPG] on Killerbee's server but I've seen it on a couple others. The weapons the original map didn't seem sufficient. A sniper rifle and a really warped redeemer with a rainbow attack.

I replaced the sniper rifes with 2 versions of M16's. I replaced the redeemer with DeemerFireworks. The original only had weapons in the starting room, which is mostly true here except I placed an extra DeemerFireworks near the end of the map.

At the suggestion of another, I reduced the lighting. Each room used to have 6 torches for lighting, now there's 2.

I swapped out the pupae for predators.
I swapped out the defensors for warlord hunters.
I was tempted to swap the brutes projectiles with instagib blasts... but didn't.

Saving that for another map.

There are creature factories on the 1st floor only. For predators, krall, brutes, and warlord hunters.

The original didn't have any music, now it does. Kind of a pet peeve of mine. Unless you've got your music volume really high it's not that loud.

The last time I suggested a strategy for a map edit of mine, MH-AvP][, someone nearly tore my head off. You know who you are. Anyway, going to risk it again. If you're going to play this map online with other people then you can choose to ignore this, teamwork negates the need somewhat. I would suggest you play this map without any mutator or anything that prevents the monsters from fighting each other. The predators especially, are very handy to lead to other rooms there are monsters in so they can eat them...

...having played this map enough times on my own I can tell you that if the monsters aren't fighting each other you're, in a word, screwed.

Usual Suspects:
.umx goes in /music
.unr goes in /maps
.u goes in /system

Stuff for the final version:
- I edited the DeemerFireworks to respawn every 10 seconds. I can't figure out how to disable the music feature, it plays one of two American ballads when you pick it up and then fire it.
- I wanna eventually put bot pathing on this map, at the moment they stick to the starting room unless they're following players. Ideally as much for my own usage when I'm not playing online, as well as others that similarily don't always hit up the servers for their UT fix.

Problems
- There's a tiny glitch with the predators, that only acts up once in awhile. I can play this map 15 times or more without it ever coming up.
- The Warlord Hunters are a little too tough and once you encounter them, they will follow you relentlessly.

Ready?
http://www.mediafire.com/?rgqmdc4cg0cn433

[ Edited Fri Sep 14 2012, 07:38am ]
evilgrins
Sat Sep 15 2012, 11:27pm
Registered Member #5
Whoops!
There's only been one instance of this so far but just to be on the safe side, there's a file missing from this. Most people seem to have it already but at least one person didn't.

It's monsterhunt1.utx and you can get it from here ยท http://aceflex.biz/uz/

[ Edited Sun Sep 16 2012, 03:15am ]
Pizz@-Soldier
Mon Sep 17 2012, 12:16am
Registered Member #4
Does this map have a shitload of bots included?
Or atleast one of your other maps?
We went playing one of yours but somehow there was a shitload of bots in it, made insane lagg and finished with a server crash.

I will check the map out soon.
Best regards, Pizz@
evilgrins
Mon Sep 17 2012, 08:22pm
Registered Member #5
Can't have been one of my maps. I've put playerbots on a couple maps but I only ever put one playerbot on any given map.

May change that someday, if I can figure out how to get them not to try to kill each other.

Anyway, there's no bots on this map... unless you bring some with you.
Pizzi
Tue Sep 18 2012, 03:01am
Registered Member #11
Pizz@ is right, I tested it a little while ago and as I started to shot the first Box, Playerbots started to Spawn over and over. Here a Screenshot:

I also took a look in the Editor for that problem, but didn't found anything suspicious, so it's a riddle to me how it can happen.
evilgrins
Tue Sep 18 2012, 12:50pm
Registered Member #5
That is weird. Beyond weird.

I didn't put any playerbots on that map. The only thing I can think of is if you both have an existing filename for a playerbot that matches one of the monsters for the map.

Though I'm confused additionally given that's the starting room in your screenshot. There's no creature factories in that room.

This is an edit of MH-FirstTry[SPG] which is already on your server. Did this happen with that version?

Out of curiosity, which bots popped into the room?

[ Edited Tue Sep 18 2012, 12:51pm ]
evilgrins
Tue Sep 18 2012, 12:57pm
Registered Member #5
Stray afterthought, did you try this map on Stronger MonsterHunt and this happened, like the screenshot suggests, or did you try playing it offline or one of the other servers?

I'm wondering if maybe Stronger MonsterHunt's settings could be causing this.
Pizzi
Tue Sep 18 2012, 05:53pm
Registered Member #11
I tested it Offline now, and it happened exactly the same.
So I did a little Research and found the answer to this Problem:
You used "predator.predator" in the ThingFactory at Start, but this is a Playermodel not a Monster, even if there is a Monster Version of this one. I'm sure you meant the small Dinolike Monsters, to get them spawned, you have to use "AsgardPredator.predator".
I changed that and in my offline Test it worked perfect now.
Here is the Fixed Version (inclusive the AsgardPredator.u just in case):

http://www. stronger-monsterhunt.net/MH-SecondTry[EG]ZetaFix.rar
(Remember to remove the Space I had to use after "www.", cause the Boardsoftware will not show the Link otherwise)

Please take a look if this is like you would have to have it and let me know if I can use this Version for the Stronger Server or if you like to change something first.

By the way, as an aside, did you notice that the M16Silver is invisible in Editor, cause it has neither a Mesh nor a Skin?

Pizz@-Soldier
Tue Sep 18 2012, 06:23pm
Registered Member #4
Lets hope it is fixed :D
evilgrins
Thu Sep 20 2012, 02:10am
Registered Member #5
Ah, well the fault isn't in the map then. It's with a file you already have. I was aware of this a stretch back, a predator class model for use but i didn't get it because I liked the little reptiles better.

This issue you're having seems unique to you guys. I submitted this map for review to multiple places:

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/80177.html

This forum here, Killerbee's, is the only place this particular issue has come up so far.

The M16 is invisible in the editor for the same reason the creature factory is invisible in the Warlord Hunter's room; its properties have it set to hidden. I could have fixed it easily enough, by switching it to viewable, but seeing as you can see it fine in the game I didn't see the need.

Nah, you can use it on Stronger MonsterHunt as you edited it. Although, I'd love to see it also on the Nali Weapons 2 server too. Those weapons might make it a bit more fair.

[ Edited Thu Sep 20 2012, 02:13am ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF